I was very good in the shopping (or more accurately the not shopping) department last year. In fact, I think I purchased a grand total of four clothing items in 2012. This year…well, this year has been an entirely different story. Friends, it’s the sales. The sales are my downfall. First, there was the Forty Five Ten blowout I happened upon last week where I obtained the Celine boots of my dreams and a have forever Victoria Beckham shift dress (I may have also taken home a couple of tops and some bracelets, but I’m not saying for sure). A couple of days later, ostensibly on a search for new school shoes, Audrey and I perused the various designer outlets at The Shops at Park Lane. We walked away from the trip with nada in the way of shoes, however, I scored two deeply discounted, Joie silk blouses.
So I should probably ignore the information I’m about to share with you about the upcoming FIG Finale on Friday, February 8 and Saturday, February 9. I should wish you well as you embark on the two-day shopping extravaganza at the normally to the trade Fashion Industry Gallery, where all manner of contemporary designer goodness is up to 75% off retail and that a day pass to the event will set you back just $10.
And I should most definitely be strong in the face of the details about the $50 VIP Shopping Package, which includes admission to both days of the public sale and an invite to the exclusive early access shopping party on Thursday (complete with cocktails, snacks, live DJ-spun tunes, and complimentary valet).
But I won’t. I’ll be there. With bells on.
If you’re up for it too, VIP night opens at 6 p.m., and the best deals go fast, so get there on time. You can purchase day passes or the VIP package online at fashionindustrygallery.com.
And since we need all the help we can get scoring the deals, we asked Emma Greathouse, Director, Fashion Industry Gallery, for some insider tips on how to shop like a veteran at FIG Finale. Herewith her words of wisdom.
- Dress comfortably, so you can get in and out of dressing rooms quickly.
- Check out every booth, as some of the best stores are not from the Dallas area. Even if you don’t recognize a store’s name, you’ll likely recognize its labels.
- If you spot an amazing deal, but it doesn’t quite fit perfectly, remember there are great tailors around the city who can make the adjustments you need while still saving you money.
- After you shop the racks on VIP night, it’s a good idea to come back on Saturday if you have time. VIP ticketholders enjoy access to the sale every day, and many stores further reduce their prices as the sale goes on. That purse you had your eye on may be reduced much more by the end of the sale.
- Bring a list of what pieces your closet needs, keep your eyes open for those pieces first so you know you will go home with items that complete your (your kids/your husbands) wardrobe.