I struggle with the whole day-to-night sartorial situation. I know in theory it’s as simple as swapping out my shoes and bag (à la Mr. Rogers), and yet every time I have an after-work event, I inevitably end up racing out of the office half-baked, hastily applying red lipstick in my rearview mirror in a desperate attempt to feel festive.
I think the trick (for me at least) is coming up with a few work outfits that don’t feel too fancy for the office but just fancy enough to ease into evening. Since coming up with outfits of this ilk is obviously not my strong suit (or I wouldn’t be struggling with this whole enterprise), I’ve called in my wardrobe superhero, Charlotte Tobin, for a little coaching.
Herewith a few tips from the master:
(Charlotte, you might have to ease me into that motorcycle jacket…just sayin’.)
- Buy a chambray shirt stat. It can be worn so many different ways, it feels fresh, and it’s easy to dress up with accessories. This is your go-to in these situations.
- A pop of leopard is always chic… These flats make a casual outfit more interesting.
- A well-made black leather bag never goes out of style. The gold details on this one dress things up, and the structured shape will make you feel polished even on the most harried days. (Ed. Note: I’m sold, as, sadly, “harried” is pretty much my perpetual state of late.)
- I want these jeans in my closet now, they are totally badass. (Plus they would work well with a chunky sweater and boots.)
- I have a mild obsession with watches…or I just really like knowing what time it is, either way I seriously love this one. It is a perfect transition piece from day-to-night.
- Motorcycle jacket = a must, as it keeps an outfit from looking too predictable
The Shopping List: